Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Python Community Interview With Will McGugan

Today I’m joined by Will McGugan. Will is a freelance Python developer based in Scotland and the creator of the popular Python library Rich.

In this interview, we discuss the origins of Rich, what it’s like to maintain a popular Python package, building chess engines, and Will’s love of photography.

Ricky: Thanks for joining me for this interview, Will. I’d like to start in the same manner we do with all our guests: how did you get into programming, and when did you start using Python?

Headshot of Will McGugan

Will: Thanks for having me on!

I discovered programming as a kid in the ’80s. For younger readers, it was exactly like Stranger Things, minus the CGI monsters. We had a ZX Spectrum+ computer back then. The graphics were flickery, and the sound was tinny, but I was hooked. At some point I discovered that you could type things on the keyboard and—if you did it just right—the computer would do as you told it.

Fast-forward a few years, and I’m working in the video games industry. I’m building a game engine and looking for a scripting language to handle the game mechanics while C++ does the graphics and heavy lifting. That’s when I came across Python, version 2.1, I think.

I didn’t consider it a proper programming language at the time, probably because it was too easy to use, and programming should be hard, right? Even so, I found myself coming back to Python for scripts and tools, which gradually became more sophisticated.

Read the full article at https://realpython.com/interview-will-mcgugan/ »


[ Improve Your Python With šŸ Python Tricks šŸ’Œ – Get a short & sweet Python Trick delivered to your inbox every couple of days. >> Click here to learn more and see examples ]



from Real Python
read more

No comments:

Post a Comment

TestDriven.io: Working with Static and Media Files in Django

This article looks at how to work with static and media files in a Django project, locally and in production. from Planet Python via read...