Friday, May 29, 2020

PSF GSoC students blogs: Community Bonding Check-in

What did you do during this period?

I had an onboarding meeting with my mentors where we got to know each other a bit better. They advised me to play around with uarray and unumpy without any goal in mind which I found to be a very good advice. I played a bit with special methods by implementing a simple Vector2D class and used the code in this notebook with some print statements to understand better the protocols and how they are called. I wanted to start earlier on my project so I took over a PR from one of my mentors which adds multimethods for the linalg module.

What is coming up next?

I'm going to continue the PR that I have been working on since it still isn't finished and I will also follow the proposed timeline and start adding multimethods for other routines like checking class equality in array elements. Some mathematical constants and their aliases are also missing so I will be adding these too and probably refactoring the existing ones into classes. This week marks the end of my college classes but I still have some assignments and exams coming up in the following weeks so there's a lot of work ahead of me to proper balance both university studies and GSoC but I wouldn't have it other way.

Did you get stuck anywhere?

I consider the PR that I started working during this period to be a challenging one since some mathematical intuition is needed to translate Linear Algebra routines into proper functions. Things like decomposition of a matrix into eigenvalues and eigenvectors to calculate its n-th power is something I'm not too familiar with specially in a programming context. With that said there hasn't been a roadblock for me up until now and usually I can wrap my head around these concepts in half a day. It should be noted that mentor help plays a huge part in this as they frequently give me very good advices. Despite that I usually think a lot before doing a commit to make sure that what I'm pushing is correct I notice that I still can't avoid some mistakes, even ones that should be obvious to me. I guess these mistakes are normal and they are corrected soon after so no harm's done but I'm training myself to not do them as often.



from Planet Python
via read more

No comments:

Post a Comment

TestDriven.io: Working with Static and Media Files in Django

This article looks at how to work with static and media files in a Django project, locally and in production. from Planet Python via read...