Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Stories in My Pocket: Recommendation: Dash for your docs

Part of what I want to do with this site is recommend tools and resources that I’ve found valuable, in the hopes that you might benefit from them and enjoy them as I have.

There has been one program, in particular, that I use most times I’m in a coding session. Sadly, I can’t use it at work, and I miss it dearly. Whenever I open it, I feel a sense of relief, knowing that I am in good hands.

Today, I recommend you try Dash.

Documentation quick reference

Having the documentation at hand for what your working on is a great boost for productivity. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve needed to look up the order of arguments to animate something in CSS or the syntax to copy a file using scp . Having a way to quickly find the answer you are looking for is crucial for keeping in your flow, and Dash excels at that.

Dash downloads the documentation for languages and frameworks that you use, provides lightning-fast searching for them, and gives you a great user experience to quickly access what you need.

Also, these docs you’ve downloaded are accessible when you’re not on the Internet, perfect for coding while traveling.

Let’s say, for example, you were to type “sort” with the docs I have installed. Dash would immediately bring up the docs for python’s list.sort() method. I can tap the down arrow to see a collection of JavaScript sort functions, SQLAlchemy’s MutableList.sort() , a man page for sort , jinja’s sort , and so on. You can see more in the screenshot below.


Read more...


from Planet Python
via read more

No comments:

Post a Comment

TestDriven.io: Working with Static and Media Files in Django

This article looks at how to work with static and media files in a Django project, locally and in production. from Planet Python via read...