Monday, June 7, 2021

Python Community Interview With Sebastián Ramírez

Today, I’m joined by Sebastián Ramírez, a software developer at Explosion AI. He is also the creator of the popular frameworks FastAPI and Typer. In this interview, we discuss typing in Python, his motivations for creating FastAPI and the future of the framework, and much more. Without further ado, let’s get into it.

Ricky: Thanks for joining me, Sebastián. I’d like to start with the same questions I do with all my guests: how did you get into programming, and when did you start using Python?

Sebastián Ramírez Profile Picture

Sebastián: Thanks for having me 😁

I got into coding when I was about fifteen, trying to build a website for my parents’ business. The first actual “code” I wrote was some JavaScript inside an HTML with an alert("Hello World"). I still remember the rush of excitement seeing that little alert message and the powerful feeling of thinking that I had coded it.

I was afraid to learn any other language for years, thinking I had to “at least” master JavaScript first. Several years later, one of the many online courses I was taking at the time required Python for controlling an AI Pac-Man and other things. The course had a single long-page tutorial with just the basics of Python, and that was enough for that course. I really wanted to try it, so I went ahead with just that basic tutorial.

Of course, I rapidly fell in love with Python and wished I had started earlier 😅

Ricky: You’re currently a software developer at Explosion AI, the company behind the popular natural language processing (NLP) framework spaCy. Can you speak a little about what your day-to-day looks like? What interests you about artificial intelligence and machine learning, and what tooling has Explosion AI created to help developers push the boundaries in both fields?

Sebastián: Yep, Explosion is mostly known for spaCy, the open source NLP toolkit. They also created Prodigy, a commercial, scriptable tool for efficiently annotating machine learning datasets. My work has been mainly on Prodigy Teams, a cloud version of Prodigy focused on teams with multiple users. As the product is very privacy-centric, making a teams/cloud version has many particular challenges.

Nevertheless, I recently decided to leave the company. I’m currently (as of the time I’m writing this) finishing all the vacations I had accumulated 😁

My plan is to arrange a way to dedicate a high percentage of my working time to FastAPI, Typer, and the other open source projects, while probably doing some consulting helping other teams and companies to make it all sustainable 🚀

Read the full article at https://realpython.com/interview-sebastian-ramirez/ »


[ Improve Your Python With 🐍 Python Tricks 💌 – Get a short & sweet Python Trick delivered to your inbox every couple of days. >> Click here to learn more and see examples ]



from Real Python
read more

No comments:

Post a Comment

TestDriven.io: Working with Static and Media Files in Django

This article looks at how to work with static and media files in a Django project, locally and in production. from Planet Python via read...