Sunday, June 13, 2021

"Morphex's Blogologue": A python script to calculate placement of poles for a roof

I've been working on the cabin, lately clearing out a tree behind the cabin that was a threat to the roof.

Some blog posts about some of the work on the cabin here: http://blogologue.com/search?category=1591541232X85

Anyway, I need to setup some new poles for the porch / balcony, as there is a lot of rot in the parts below the roof, and those parts support the roof. So I can't just rip it out.

I wrote a script some time ago, and was going to use that today as I took finer measurements of the new beam that will carry the roof and how long an extended beam will have to be. As I was reading the script I couldn't make sense of it, so I re-wrote it, and posted a new one today:

https://github.com/morphex/misc/blob/master/holesforpoles3.p...

The old one is also in the same repository as holesforpoles.py, but you'll have to dig through the version history for that one.

I think it shows that in construction work, you have to cut once, measure twice, calculate thrice and maybe re-write the code quadrice. I wrote a holesforpoles2.py program today as well, but that was also discarded, more as a tool in the thinking process I guess.


from Planet Python
via read more

No comments:

Post a Comment

TestDriven.io: Working with Static and Media Files in Django

This article looks at how to work with static and media files in a Django project, locally and in production. from Planet Python via read...