Monday, March 15, 2021

Real Python: Python Community Interview With Ewa Jodlowska

Today I’m joined by Ewa Jodlowska, executive director of the Python Software Foundation (PSF), the organization devoted to advancing open source technology related to the Python programming language.

In this interview, we discuss how Ewa started her tech journey, how COVID-19 affected the PSF, plans for PyCon US 2021, her love of hiking and lifting weights, and much more.

Ricky: Thank you for joining me, Ewa. You’ve been at the PSF for over nine years at this point, first as the events coordinator, then as the director of operations, and now as the executive director. I’m curious to know a little about your background, how you found your way in the PSF, and why you’re so passionate about Python.

Headshot of Ewa Jodlowska

Ewa: That is a great question—and not one I get asked often!

I was first introduced to PyCon through my previous employer, where I was a meeting planner, account manager, and eventually a software engineer! We were contracted in 2008 to help out in several ways: We helped with logistical conference planning and eventually built a registration site for PyCon and managed hotel reservations. Back then, we were programming using PHP and Informix 4GL.

I implemented many first-time registration functionalities, such as how people signed up for tutorials! Of course, PyCon has its own system now, but the flow of it is still based on what was created for PyCon 2009.

Going to PyCon in 2008 and 2009 inspired me to get my CS degree through night school. Even though it didn’t offer any Python courses, it helped uncover more of the tech scene for me.

In 2011 I left my previous employer to adventure around Europe for a couple of years, and the PSF offered me a part-time position to work on PyCon! By June of 2012 I was offered full-time employment since PyCon really took off when it was in Santa Clara, California. A couple months later, the PSF’s part-time administrator left, and that responsibility was added to my role.

Through that role I received a lot of exposure to what the PSF did outside of PyCon and our wonderful community. From that time, the PSF really began to flourish, and the support we provided (and continue to provide) to the Python community continued to evolve.

Read the full article at https://realpython.com/interview-ewa-jodlowska/ »


[ Improve Your Python With šŸ Python Tricks šŸ’Œ – Get a short & sweet Python Trick delivered to your inbox every couple of days. >> Click here to learn more and see examples ]



from Planet Python
via read more

No comments:

Post a Comment

TestDriven.io: Working with Static and Media Files in Django

This article looks at how to work with static and media files in a Django project, locally and in production. from Planet Python via read...