Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Python Community Interview With Dane Hillard

Today I’m joined by Dane Hillard, lead web application developer at ITHAKA and author of Practices of the Python Pro. Dane is also a Real Python tutorial author.

In this interview, we discuss a variety of topics, including code complexity, Python package maintenance, and popcorn. So without further ado, let’s welcome Dane.

Ricky:Thanks for joining me for this interview, Dane. I’d like to start in the same manner we do with all our guests: how did you get into programming, and when did you start using Python?

Dane Hillard

Dane: Thanks for having me back! Real Python is a pretty nice place to spend some more time. Some of my first experiences with programming were the same for a lot of kids from the era of LiveJournal and MySpace—I was regularly customizing my profile page and theme to make sure my angsty ramblings looked their best.

Around the same time, I started doing some 3D modeling in Rhinoceros as a mostly artistic outlet, but it also offered some scripting capabilities that I tinkered with. A friend and I got pretty into Liero, and I went so far as to make a few custom weapons for us to play with. So in all, a geeky start coming out of a few tangential interests.

I learned C++ and MATLAB in school and spent my first internship and full-time job working in those languages. I picked up Perl along the way and managed to land my second job using it.

While learning a massive amount about SQL optimization there, I also started tinkering on some side projects with a friend. He was a big Rails guy, so I started getting exposure to Ruby. I’d been using PHP and then Spring to run a website for my photography and decided to give Rails a try next. The “coding by convention” paradigm didn’t quite click with me at that time.

Read the full article at https://realpython.com/interview-dane-hillard/ »


[ Improve Your Python With šŸ Python Tricks šŸ’Œ – Get a short & sweet Python Trick delivered to your inbox every couple of days. >> Click here to learn more and see examples ]



from Real Python
read more

No comments:

Post a Comment

TestDriven.io: Working with Static and Media Files in Django

This article looks at how to work with static and media files in a Django project, locally and in production. from Planet Python via read...