Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Real Python: Python Community Interview With Bruno Oliveira

Today I’m joined by Bruno Oliveira, who is perhaps most well known for being a pytest core developer. In this interview, we cover migrating a large codebase from C++ to Python, how to get started with pytest, and his love of Dark Souls.

Ricky: Welcome to Real Python, Bruno. I’m glad you could join us. Let’s start in the same manner we do with all our guests: How’d you get into programming, and when did you start using Python?

Bruno: Hi, Ricky. Thanks for having me. Bruno Oliveira

I started programming twenty-three years ago or so. I was just getting into computers when a friend of mine showed me this book about Visual Basic, and I was absolutely amazed that you could write your own calculator.

Sometime later, my dad bought me the Delphi 3 Bible. I devoured that, and after a while I started to program in DirectX and make very simple games.

After that, I went into college, and in the second semester I managed to get an internship to work on a Delphi application for image processing. After the internship, I joined ESSS, which is the company I work at to this day.

My role at ESSS as a technical leader is to manage the technical aspects of the projects I work on, including design and day-to-day code reviews. I’m involved in four projects currently.

Along with the other technical leaders, I also develop and oversee our high-level efforts, such as migrating all the code from one Python version to the next, solving problems in our CI, implementing development workflows, and many others.

At ESSS, we develop engineering applications specifically for the oil and gas industry. When I joined, everything was coded in C++, and the team developed everything themselves, including a multiplatform GUI library. A year or so after I was hired, we started looking into Python (version 2.4 at the time) and how we could use it together with PyQt for quickly developing our applications.

Read the full article at https://realpython.com/interview-bruno-oliveira/ »


[ Improve Your Python With šŸ Python Tricks šŸ’Œ – Get a short & sweet Python Trick delivered to your inbox every couple of days. >> Click here to learn more and see examples ]



from Planet Python
via read more

No comments:

Post a Comment

TestDriven.io: Working with Static and Media Files in Django

This article looks at how to work with static and media files in a Django project, locally and in production. from Planet Python via read...