Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Real Python: Python Community Interview With Russell Keith-Magee

Today I’m joined by Russell Keith-Magee. Russell is a Django core developer and the founder and maintainer of the BeeWare project. In the interview, we talk about his mission to help Python become a feasible option for writing and packaging mobile applications as well as his passion for open source projects. We also touch on his PyCon 2020 talk, which has since been recorded and uploaded to the PyCon YouTube channel.

So, without further ado, let’s get into it!

Ricky: Welcome to Real Python, Russell. Thanks for joining me for this interview. Let’s start the same way we always do. How’d you get into programming, and when did you start using Python?

Russell Keith Magee

Russell: My father has always been an early adopter of technology, and as a result, when I was eight or nine, he brought home one of the very first Commodore 64s imported into Australia.

As with many computers of that era, you couldn’t avoid programming with the Commodore 64 because when you turned it on, you were dropped directly into a BASIC programming environment.

There were also lots of children’s books around at the time that included program code you could type in. Those books would sell themselves as being SUPER EXCITING SPACE GAMES, but they were really just guess-the-random-number games with really good book art. However, that was enough to pique my interest.

Putting an exact date on when I started using Python is difficult. I remember coming across it in the late 1990s, around the Python 1.5 time frame, as a language being mostly used for Red Hat configuration management. My serious usage started around 2003, when I was starting to get into web programming. By the time I was a Django contributor, my day job became full-time Python—and it has been ever since.

Interestingly, my origin story and my Python background collided recently. Usborne, the publisher of some of my favorite Commodore-era programming books, open sourced the contents of their books, so I started a bit of a fun project to port the books to Python.

Ricky: Even though you’re one of Django’s core developers, would it be fair to say that you spend most of your open source time these days on the BeeWare project? For those who have yet to hear of BeeWare, what is it and what inspired you to start the project?

Read the full article at https://realpython.com/interview-russell-keith-magee/ »


[ Improve Your Python With šŸ Python Tricks šŸ’Œ – Get a short & sweet Python Trick delivered to your inbox every couple of days. >> Click here to learn more and see examples ]



from Planet Python
via read more

No comments:

Post a Comment

TestDriven.io: Working with Static and Media Files in Django

This article looks at how to work with static and media files in a Django project, locally and in production. from Planet Python via read...